Wednesday, August 3, 2016

For Love of the Game

I love Swords & Wizardry: WhiteBox.  It is one of my favorite retro-clones. I was hoping for years that it would get a revision and better layout with more art.  But, alas that never seemed to happen.

So one day I was thinking; Matt Finch gave the game "to the fans" and I thought, hey wait, I'm a fan and nobody else seems to be revising it, why don't I just do it?

So I revised it myself. I added some various OSR stuff to change it up a bit. I included the much needed "essential adventuring rules" by Douglas Maxwell. Jousting by John Stater. Overland transportation rates from Delving Deeper. The Thief and some monsters from James Spahn.

I would like to point out how awesome the OSR is.  There are so many excellent writers, who put out great material and they keep it open in the spirit of the OGL.  There was no need for me to reinvent the wheel. I just chose what fit best. Which really is the whole spirit of the OSR and Original Dungeons & Dragons as well.

I wanted to keep most of the game intact, so I only applied some light editing. It is the game you know and love.

I hope you all like it.  

The PDF has been available for a couple days and you can find it here, for free: http://www.lulu.com/shop/charles-mason/white-box/ebook/product-22811512.html

Print On Demand is coming soon.  

3 comments:

  1. Your Lulu link is broken. Is there a way to get an editable copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would desperately need an editable copy too :)

    ReplyDelete